About Cookies

We use cookies on this website to give you the best possible experience. To find out more and to stop cookies please go to our cookie policy.

Buy to let info
My account/Register

Loading, please wait...

Why register?

It's easier to find your ideal home with an account – and you'll be the first to hear about new homes

Please enter a location, postcode, development name or school so we can show you the right results.

New homes by location

Please enter a location or postcode so we can show you the right results.

Building alterations and extensions

For many people, one of the joys of having their own home is the freedom to adapt their living space to their own needs and lifestyle. In this guide we’ll cover what you need to know about the exterior of your home and adding to it.

Conservatories and extensions

If you want to make structural changes to your home, first check your restrictive covenants. Then:

  • Check local planning laws and find out what you can and cannot do with your home. You should find this information on the website of your local council.
  • In addition to any planning permissions and other legal requirements, we’ll also need to give approval for the change.
  • Full details of the proposed change should be issued to our local divisional office, which will advise you further. A consent fee will be applicable to each application.

Typical changes that would require permission include:

  • adding a conservatory to your home
  • extending your home
  • adding dormer windows into the loft space
  • fitting solar panels on the roof.

Garden extension

Property drawings

We regret that we are unable to provide any plans or working drawings for the construction of your property.

Do I need planning permission for a garden shed?

  • This will be dependent on the size and position of your shed. We’d always advise you to check with your local authority in advance of starting any works.

Can I install or extend my patio?

  • Yes, but you should consider any impact your works would have on the drainage of the area, any existing manhole covers and utility services. Additional drainage may also be required.

How do I find out where my internal electric cables, gas and water pipes are?

  • We recommend you appoint a local contractor to confirm the existing service runs prior to starting any building works.
  • To check pipe and cable runs prior to normal DIY tasks we would always recommend you use a suitable detector.
  • We regret we are unable to provide any plans or working drawings for the construction of your property.
Back to Help & Support homepage

Get in touch

The New Home Customer Care Team is available via phone and email.

Contact Support