Guide to Documents Needed When Buying a House

1. ID and proof of address

Your ID and proof of address prove who you are and where your money comes from. You can use a photo ID from your passport or driving license and your utility bill or bank statement as proof of address. 

2. Title deeds

Title deeds confirm you own the property. They also give information about previous owners. Most Land Registry records are digital, so you won’t receive a physical copy of these documents. However, your solicitor can provide written proof that you’re the ‘registered proprietor’ within a month or two of completion.

3. Mortgage deed

If you take out a mortgage to buy your new home, you’ll receive a mortgage deed. This document outlines your mortgage terms and conditions, including the amount borrowed, interest rate and monthly repayments. 

4. Property Information Form (TA6)

The Property Information Form (TA6) includes details about gas and electricity and who’s responsible for boundary fences. The seller must legally complete this form and provide all the supporting evidence they can, including everything you may need to know. If they exclude any information, you can claim compensation.

5. Fittings and Fixtures Form (TA10)

The Fittings and Fixtures form (TA10) details what the seller will leave in the property, from light fittings, curtains and flooring to white goods and garden plants. 

6. Solicitor report

The solicitor report summarises the legal title and property search results.

7. Warranty

A warranty proves your seller has been responsible for repairing any damage. If your new property is a new build or under 10 years old, you’ll receive a copy of your Buildmark (NHBC) and any other new home policy documents. 
Enjoy a 10-year warranty* when you buy a new David Wilson home. If something is wrong, your 2-year fixtures and fittings warranty covers you for this period.


8. Insurance policies

Two types of home insurance are available for home buyers: 
Building insurance. This covers significant structural damages caused by fires, floods, burst water pipes, subsidence, etc. 
Contents insurance. This protects you from damage or loss of belongings in case of fire, accident or theft. 
Our comprehensive home insurance guide dives into each one, their advantages and disadvantages. 

9. Indemnity insurance

Indemnity insurance protects you against the potential costs of repairing damages to the property. 
You can purchase indemnity insurance if the seller doesn’t provide a building regulation certificate. This will protect you from future costs if your local authority pursues a claim because you don’t have the certificate. 

10. Survey

If you request one, a surveyor will conduct a building survey of your property. The report includes necessary and potential repairs and alterations. 

11. Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is required by law. It gives your home a rating from A to G (A being the most energy efficient), estimates carbon dioxide emissions and includes potential energy-saving improvements. 

12. Stamp Duty receipt

Stamp Duty tax applies to leasehold and freehold properties and land over £250,000 in England. If you’re a first-time buyer, you’ll be exempt from paying Stamp Duty unless your new home costs over £425,000. In this case, you’ll pay 5%. 
You have 14 days to pay the Stamp Duty tax after finalising the purchase of your new home. Your solicitor can do this for you and provide a receipt within 30 days. 
Learn more about Stamp Duty in our guide.

13. Servicing records

Your boiler is an essential home appliance. Whether you suspect it’s broken, damaged or want reassurance, ask the seller to provide you with the gas safety certificate for the last 12 months (if it isn’t included in the Property Information Form).

14. Building work guarantees

The seller should give you guarantees for any building work they’ve conducted in the house. These are typically valid for 10 years.

15. Other guarantees

Your seller should also share guarantees for anything they’ve left on the property. This includes new appliances, new boilers and woodworm treatments. They should provide you with the FENSA Certificate if they installed double-glazed windows. 
Explore our range of new homes across the UK for energy efficiency, sustainability, style and generous indoor and outdoor space. Discover our offers to help you move, designed for first-time buyers and existing homeowners.

Help to Sell Schemes

We have a range of schemes to help you sell your existing home.


Low Deposit Schemes

If you have a low deposit, we have a variety of schemes to help make moving more affordable.


Part Exchange

We could be your guaranteed buyer. No stress or fuss, just an easy move for you and your family.

Key Worker Scheme

We could help make your move with our Key Worker Deposit Contribution Scheme.

Own New - Rate Reducer

Own New - Rate Reducer is a brand-new scheme available on new build homes that could mean lower mortgage rates and reduced monthly payments.

Parent Power

Parents can also help. Typically they (or a close family member) could help you with your deposit, or guarantee your mortgage, or act as a joint applicant.


*Although all of our homes come with an NHBC warranty, it is not always an NHBC Buildmark Warranty. Please speak to a Sales Adviser on your chosen development to confirm which  NHBC warranty will apply to your selected plot.