New build home insurance

Aug 16, 2022
illustration of a home, hammer, sofa and award
Moving into a brand-new home? From spotless walls to shiny new appliances, everything about it should be pristine. And as a proud homeowner, you’ll want to protect it. Which is why it’s important to think about warranties and home insurance.

While some home insurance is mandatory, other types of cover are optional. In many cases, a new home will come with a warranty too. So we’ve put together a short guide to help you get to grips with things.

What kind of insurance is there for a new-build home?

illustration of new build insurance quotes


Fundamentally there are two types of home insurance to consider:

1. Buildings insurance.

This covers the cost of repairing damage to the structure of your property caused by events such as fire, flood, burst water pipes, subsidence and more. Buildings insurance should cover the full cost of rebuilding your home.

If you’re planning to buy a home with the help of a mortgage, your lender will usually insist that you have this cover.

It’s also worth noting that if you’re buying a leasehold property, you may find that buildings insurance is already included as part of your service charge.

2. Contents insurance.

Put simply, this protects anything that would fall to the floor if your house was turned upside down – so personal and home possessions such as clothing, furniture, jewellery, gadgets and more. It can also cover you if items are lost, stolen or taken out of your home, such as when you go on holiday. Contents insurance isn’t compulsory, but it’s definitely a good idea. Without it, you’ll have to pay for any repair or replacement out of your own pocket.


What’s the role of a warranty?

illustration of warranty certificate


A building warranty – such as the 10-year NHBC Buildmark warranty – is another element that can give you peace of mind when buying a brand-new home. Essentially, it means your home complies with the NHBC Standards, which set out the technical requirements for design, materials and workmanship in new home construction. 
Companies like David Wilson Homes include a warranty with every new-build home.

What does the 10-year NHBC Buildmark warranty cover?


NHBC certificate

When you buy a new David Wilson home, it comes with a 10-year NHBC Buildmark warranty cover, which comes in two parts1. Here’s how it works:

Part 1: 10-year structural warranty

Your new home comes with a 10-year structural warranty, meaning that the cost of fixing damage caused by faults in specified parts of the home, usually the structural and weatherproofing elements is covered.

Part 2: 2-year fixtures and fittings warranty

During the first two years, you have the added reassurance that if something goes wrong within your home, and is covered by the 2-year fixtures and fittings warranty, we will make sure it is put right.
For more information, and full exclusions and limitations, please visit the NHBC website.


Answers to a few common questions

infographic of questions


Q. Do I need buildings insurance on a brand-new home?

A. If you’re buying your new home with the help of a mortgage, your lender is likely to insist that you have buildings insurance in place. It’s also essential to have as it protects you against things like fire, flood and theft – unforeseen events that can cause serious and costly damage to any property, whether it’s old or new.


Q. Are brand-new homes fully insured?

A. Many, like all David Wilson Homes, will come with a warranty which means that certain defects and damage coming to light within a specific time period will be put right. However, you should still take out buildings insurance to protect your home, and very seriously consider contents insurance.


Q. How do I get home insurance on a brand-new property?

A. There’s no specific ‘new-build insurance’. As with all insurance products, the sheer variety of offers out there can be confusing. Both comparethemarket and MoneySuperMarket have useful guides highlighting what to consider when insuring a home.


Q. Do I need insurance in place before I complete my purchase?

A. Yes, once contracts have been exchanged, if something like a flood or fire happens before you move in (complete), you will be liable. So it’s important to get buildings insurance sorted out quickly. In terms of contents insurance, you could wait until you move in before arranging this, but remember, many insurers will give you a better deal if you take out a combined policy.

If all this talk of insurance makes you feel slightly nervy, don’t forget that the likelihood of something going wrong in your home is small. And the fact is that, once you’ve got the right amount of insurance in place, you can effectively put it to the back of your mind and get on with enjoying life in your brand-new home.

Find your next home

If you see yourself in a brand-new, energy-efficient home surrounded by all the space you need and thoughtfully designed features, we’re here to help.


 1 2-year builder warranty from legal completion directly from Barratt Homes, backed by NHBC's resolution service. Then 8 years of structural defects insurance cover with NHBC.