Household meters - How to read them
With boxes to unpack and furniture to put together, moving house can be stressful enough without trying to master how to read an unfamiliar meter.Whether it’s for your gas, electricity or even water supply, here’s a quick guide to reading your new meter, so you can worry about more important things.
What types of meter are there, and how do you read them?
- Write down the numbers you see, from left to right
- Ignore numbers that are red, surrounded by red, or those that are shown after a decimal point
- If the pointer is in between two numbers, write the lowest number down
- If it’s between 9 and 0, write down 9, but reduce the previous number by one
- Don't read the last dial on the right