Consumer Code for Home Builders
We put our customers at the heart of our business. We do this by following the Consumer Code for Home Builders, as well as our own Customer Charter.
The information on this page is for all new homes reserved with us before 1st November 2022.
If you reserved your home on or after 1st November 2022, please visit our New Homes Quality Code page.
The Consumer Code for Home Builders (the code), which came into effect in April 2010, applies to all home builders registered with the UK’s main new Home Warranty Bodies; NHBC, Premier Guarantee and LABC Warranty. The scheme ensures new homebuyers are better informed than ever before on vital aspects of their property, such as service levels and build timescales.
New home construction in the UK is governed by some of the highest levels of building regulations and consumer protection. David Wilson Homes prides itself on leading the way in meeting those requirements.
What is the Consumer Code for Home Builders?
The code gives protection and rights to purchasers of new homes. It requires all new homebuyers to be treated fairly and ensure they are fully informed about their purchase before and after they sign the contract.
The code came into effect on April 1, 2010, and was developed by a leading group of house builders, construction industry bodies and the Government.
The aim of the code is for all new homebuyers to:
- be treated fairly
- know what levels of service to expect
- be given reliable information about their purchase and their consumer rights before and after they move in, and
- know how to access speedy, low-cost dispute resolution arrangements to deal with complaints about breaches of the code
The code reinforces best practice among home builders to encourage a consistently high level of information and customer service. It builds on successful efforts already made by the industry to improve consumer satisfaction in recent years.
The code covers every stage of the home-buying purchase – pre-contract, exchange of contract and during occupation.
David Wilson Homes embraces the code
David Wilson Homes embraces the Consumer Code for Home Builders as an additional layer of consumer protection. At David Wilson we take pride in ensuring we deliver the best quality homes and great customer service.
Our Customer Charter is one of the ways we set out our commitment to you. Designed to help you throughout your purchase - and long after you've moved - it will provide you with detailed information, advice and support.
Our Customer Charter
1. Provide you with the Consumer Code for Home Builders and adhere to the requirements it places upon us.
2. Provide you with detailed information about your new home, plus the choices and options available to you.
3. Provide you with updates, at agreed intervals, on the progress of build, physical completion and occupation dates.
4. Provide you with health and safety advice to minimise the risk of danger from construction works, when visiting the development and after you have moved into your new home.
5. Offer you an opportunity to appoint a suitably qualified inspector (RICS or RPSA member) to undertake a Pre-Completion Inspection of your new home, from 5 calendar days after the Notice to Complete has been served (or earlier by mutual agreement).
6. Undertake a demonstration of the many features of your new home before you move in and provide documentation about running in and maintenance.
7. Provide you with a statement of incomplete work on the development and indicative timescales for completion, for example, roads, open spaces, recreational areas and landscaping.
8. Provide you with an easily accessible and efficient after-sales service (including emergency out of hours cover) for handling issues, enquiries and complaints; endeavouring to resolve warranty issues within one calendar month.
9. Provide you with advice on the NHBC 10-Year Buildmark warranty and other warranties from manufacturers from which you will benefit.
10. Facilitate independent satisfaction surveys so that you can feedback to us how we are performing.