Our energy-efficient, brand-new homes could save you up to £2,200 per year on your energy bills^, visit here to discover more.


Paperwork needed when selling house

Mar 05, 2018
Paperwork needed when selling house

When you first bought your property, you will have received plenty of paperwork relating to the purchase of your home. Now you’re selling, it’s up to you to make sure all the right documentation is in place to make sure the process is as smooth as possible. For the property to go on the market in the first-place certain things will be required to really showcase it, including photos, a floorplan if you have one, a description and of course the valuation. Once you’ve had an offer, you must provide various documents to make sure the legal parts of the sale can be completed. These can be broken down into the following three categories: • Identity information • Property specific information • Leasehold or Freehold information Here we’ll take you through the essentials to ensure everything’s in order when the time comes.

someone signing paperwork

1. Identity documents

Detailing who you are and where you live. Quick and easy, but essential paperwork. Proof of identity The first thing to do is prove your identity to your solicitor, with either a copy of your passport or driving licence. Proof of address Again, your solicitor will require this in the form of a recent bank statement or utility bill.

2. Property Specific documents

Detailing ownership of the property, energy performance certificates and other important information (listed below). This will form the bulk of the paperwork. Property Title Deeds (office copies if registered) This is the evidence of your ownership of the property. If you don’t have these, speak to your solicitor or mortgage lender. The solicitor will also need to obtain a copy from the Land Registry as part of the sale.
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) A certificate that details the energy efficiency and CO2 impact of your home. You’ll need to have one in place from a Government-accredited domestic energy assessor and you are required to have one by law if you want to sell your home. Properties are registered for 10 years so you might already have one. If not, organise yourself or through your agent – expect to pay between £50 and £120+VAT. Fittings & Contents Form (TA10) A TA10 is used to detail exactly what’s included in the sale. When negotiating with the buyer you may have discussed specifics that would be left when you vacate, such as fridge, kitchen cooker or any outdoor items including sheds. The TA10 breaks it down on a room by room basis.
Property Information Form (TA6) As the seller it’s your responsibility to complete this detailed form, answering specific questions that relate to:
  • Transaction Information: if you are moving to another home and any specifics of moving dates
  • Occupiers: detailing any people living in the property who will continue to do so after the sale
  • Boundaries: where they are and any responsibilities for upkeep of fences or hedges
  • Environmental matters: this will reference the ERC as well as detailing any other potential environmental issues such as flooding
  • Complaints & disputes: any ongoing disputes with neighbours for example
  • Planning Alterations & Building Control:
    • details of any substantial building work undertaken or ongoing
    • building’s listed status if applicable
  • Warranties or guarantees: if any parts of the building are new, including a roof or solar panels
  • Proposals & notices: letters from Local Authority or neighbours detailing any future development in the area
  • Insurance: detailing any irregularities and guiding on the potential cost to insure the property
  • Services: condition of wiring and central heating
  • Connection to services & utilities: specifying location of electricity, gas, and water meters if applicable
  • Parking: any details of garages or off-road parking
Copies of any paperwork referenced in the TA6 must be provided too.

3. Leasehold or Freehold documents

This applies only if the property is leasehold (ownership of a property for a fixed term but not the land which it stands on) or freehold (outright ownership of the property and land). These include:
  • A copy of the lease if leasehold
  • Shared freehold documents if the property retains a share of the freehold, including a share certificate if a company has been set up to manage the freehold
  • Management information pack to be sourced by you or your solicitor from the managing agent or freeholder (note that there is usually a charge for this which is dependent on the landlord)
It might take time, but it’s essential for your sale to go through. For more information, read our guide on the costs associated with selling your home.