If only one drain is affected
If it’s just one fitting, like a sink or shower, that’s not draining properly, the blockage is probably in or near to that specific plughole.
- For sinks, showers and baths the trap (the top part of the plughole) can usually be unscrewed or unclipped, removed and cleaned.
- If this doesn’t solve the problem then use a plunger to try and dislodge whatever debris is blocking the drain.
- With a little water in the bottom of the sink, bath or shower, place the plunger firmly over the plughole with one hand, and pump it up and down sharply while blocking the overflow holes with the other hand.
- If a plunger doesn’t solve the problem, try using a liquid drain unblocker, though be aware that some harsh chemicals may mark or damage your plughole, so always seek the manufacturer's recommendations first.
- If this doesn’t work you’ll need to contact a professional drain or plumbing specialist.