Consumer Code for New Home Builders
New home construction in the UK is governed by some of the highest levels of building regulations and consumer protection. David Wilson Homes prides itself on leading the way in meeting those requirements.
In 2010 we welcomed the launch of the Consumer Code for Home Builders: a scheme that ensures new home buyers are better informed than ever before on vital aspects of their property, such as service levels and build timescales.
What is the Consumer Code?
The Consumer Code came into effect on April 1, 2010, and was developed by a leading group of house builders, construction industry bodies and the Government.
The scheme ensures new house buyers:
- Know what service levels to expect from their home builder
- Know the build timescales and other important property and location information
- Know how to access speedy, low-cost dispute-resolution arrangements in the unlikely event that they are dissatisfied.
David Wilson Homes embraces the Consumer Code
David Wilson Homes embraces the Consumer Code for new home builders as an additional layer of consumer protection. At David Wilson Homes we take pride in ensuring we deliver the best quality homes and great customer service.
Our Customer Service Charter is one of the ways we set out our commitment to you. Designed to help you throughout your purchase - and long after you've moved - it will provide you with detailed information, advice and support. What’s more, our Charter also entitles you to a discount on a future David Wilson Home or Barratt home should you choose to move at some time in the future.
Find out more about the Code
The Consumer Code for Home Builders has its very own website, with detailed information on all aspects of the code.
Visit Consumer Code for Home Builders website
We build great quality homes, find out about our exclusive 5 year warranty.
Buying with us is great, find out more about new build benefits here.
We put the same high standards of care and attention into looking after our customers as we do into building our homes.
In building, solid foundations are a must - we think they're just as important in Customer Care. That's why we lay out our commitments to you firmly, in our Customer Service Charter.
We'll help you by providing you with:
1. Detailed information about your new home and our customer service.
Prior to exchange of contracts we will review with you:
- Terms of sale including price.
- Details of your new home including garden or plot and communal areas, location and site layout.
- Floor plans with approximate room sizes marked.
- Summary details of the type of the construction.
- Fixtures and fittings to be included.
- Type of heating system.
- Kitchen and bathroom layouts.
- Advice on items we anticipate may not be fully finished before you complete your purchase, such as footpaths and landscaping.
2. Assistance with choices and options available to you.
Every David Wilson Home is offered with a range of fixtures and fittings by leading manufacturers.
Our experienced sales team can help you make the right design choices to personalise your new home. Precisely what is available will depend on the stage of construction of your new home when you buy it.
3. Regular updates about the progress of construction, legal completion and occupation dates (our best estimate).
We will keep in regular contact and advise you of progress on your new home. When you first reserve we will give you our best estimate of when your new home will be ready. Approximately one month before you move in, we will write to you confirming when we anticipate your home will be ready, which will assist you with making arrangements for your move. The exact date will be fixed when we give you our formal 10 Working Day Notice to Complete.
4. A demonstration of your new home's many features before you move in.
Once your home is ready we will invite you to attend your New Home Tour and Demonstration. This is a major event, when we demonstrate your new home to you, ensuring that when you move in you know where everything is and how it works. Amongst other things we will explain:
- How to operate the central heating, hot water and any other systems.
- Where the main switches, consumer unit and stopcock are located.
- How to 'run in' in your new home.
- How to maintain your new home.
- How the warranties and guarantee work.
- How our Customer Service procedures work.
5. Your own Home File and Move in File to guide you through all the different stages of buying a new home and running-in and maintaining it.
Our experienced sales teams are available to give you support and advice throughout the buying process and in addition we will give you these two practical guides which explain the different stages of homebuying and contain useful checklists and details of our Customer Service procedures.
6. Advice on the NHBC's 10 Year Buildmark warranty and manufacturers' warranties from which you will benefit, plus details of our 5 year warranty.
Your new David Wilson home is an investment - and is protected by the 10 year Buildmark cover from NHBC. Briefly, Buildmark is an insurance policy which protects you, the homeowner against specific risks for a full 10 years. The insurance cover is split into two stages. You are protected for the full 10 years against serious defects occurring: for example foundations, roof and other structural areas.
In addition, for the first two years, David Wilson Homes, together with the NHBC cover you against physical damage to your home should this be caused by a defect which results from a failure to meet NHBC standards. Like all insurance policies there are limitations to the cover and these are fully explained in the Buildmark Cover document which you will receive from your Solicitor.
David Wilson also extend the NHBC two year warranty to each of our first owners so that during the first 5 years in your new home just about everything we provide with it as standard is covered. This extended warranty covers things from the hot and cold plumbing system, to appliances, wardrobes, the driveway and renewable energy installation (if fitted). For full details of this warranty please refer to the terms and conditions page. There are exclusions to our extended warranty, which are mostly things which fall outside our control, such as wear and tear, carpets and your own alterations.
7. A helpful and efficient After Sales Service within defined response times, including our 5 year out of hours emergency service cover.
Although we hope there will be no problems after you have moved into your new home, our commitment to you continues for five years after the sale has been completed. We will give you details of who to contact about any emergency service requests.
To enable us to respond within the timescales shown below, it is absolutely essential that you follow our service procedures. For non emergencies this starts with you directly contacting your Customer Service department.
- In the unlikely event of an emergency, we provide a 24 hour, 365 day service for a full five years. We aim to respond as soon as possible, usually within 2 hours, and arrange for an emergency visit where appropriate.
- For non-emergency service requests, please contact our Customer Service department. We aim to respond within one working day to assess and then agree a timescale.
- For non-urgent labour-only items, once we have completed our assessment we will endeavour to undertake work within seven working days. If materials are required, it may take up to 28 working days to undertake the work, but less if at all possible. We will agree a timetable with you once supply dates are known.
While we repair defects in your home under the terms of the Buildmark Cover, you are responsible for wear and tear, decorating and routine maintenance. We are not responsible for problems caused by these items.
8. We will provide our customers with Health & Safety advice to minimise the risk of danger during construction.
The safety and wellbeing of you and your family is of paramount importance to us. A building site can be a dangerous place, especially for children who may see it as an adventure playground. With this in mind, please follow this guidance when on site:
- Unaccompanied visits to construction areas are not allowed under health & safety regulations for any reason – access can only be arranged through your sales consultant.
- Fully comply with advice given by your sales consultant.
- Always wear the safety helmet and any other protective equipment provided.
- Keep a safe distance from construction activity.
- Ensure that children are under your control and are not allowed access to the site.
9. David Wilson Homes Future Purchase Entitlement.
We appreciate that you have only just moved in, but when you do get to the stage when you feel you would like to move again, it is worth remembering that you can benefit from your future purchase entitlement, if you choose another David Wilson, Barratt or Ward home.
As time goes by families grow, needs change and jobs move. David Wilson Homes can help by offering a wide range of new homes in locations throughout Britain. Your David Wilson Homes Future Purchase Entitlement enables you to claim a discount at the time of reserving your new David Wilson home. It will be provided to you shortly after you move in. Keep it in a safe place!
10. A satisfaction survey so you can tell us how we are performing
...and contact details if you feel you have not received the service you should have. In the unlikely event that you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the service you have received from us under our Charter, please see our Complaints Procedure and the Consumer Code for Home Builders and redress scheme.